Thought I would post some quick pictures of the Dresden Table Topper I just made for my Mothe-in-law's 75th birthday (today) party this Saturday!! It turned out better than I had envisioned.
I used the 10 degree ruler, cutting 36 blades from 9 different fabrics.
Instead of appliquéing it to a block I decided to add backing and finish it with the points as part of the charm.
Trimmed away the extra
Clipped the inside corners and trimmed away the bulk of fabric and batting from the outside corners.
Trim the bulk of fabric and batting away from the outside corners
Turned right side out and poked out all the plate points.
I pressed it, pinned it and starting in the centre did continuous 1/4" from seams quilting on all blades. Sewing every other blade the first time round and finishing the missed ones the next time around.
For the centre I made a patchwork of 1.5" squares
I traced the circle onto the patchwork with heat erase pen and stitched around on the line for pressing my seam allowance.
Pinned in place
I started with the 4 to make sure it was centred and added a few more after.
blanket stitched with some yellow decorative thread
One more project done and checked off my party prep list!!!