Monday, September 13, 2021

Well, It's Been A Minute....

 It has been quite a time since I last posted and things have been up and down on my health front. I will post an update on my page soon. Just know that I am doing well and not under any treatments right now. Amen. 

I thought I would take a moment and post some pictures of the projects I have been working on and do a little update on my UpStairs HobbyRoom life...


I purchased a twinging loom from LibbyLula Looms and have been having a lot of fun making some rag rugs... it has steel rods down the sides to keep the rug straight as you twine, and it works great.
 



All warped up for the first rug using some flannel fabric I was given...


I cut light and dark fabric into strips and used a light and dark together to twine around the warp strips.

You start at the top and work down and then turn and start at the bottom and work down to meet in the middle to finish. I need to find a stool to set the loom on to raise it for the proper height for some of the areas of twining, but it was straight forward and easy to figure out, especially with the YouTube videos I found. 

Anyone else twining? Have you every used anything other than fabric? And if so, what?


And then this happened....insert Happy Dance!


I found a floor loom 

With all the things I needed to be able to start weaving

And I found a local Weaver and took a class, and everything I did in class I would come home and repeat with my loom...


Although I did choose a different weaving pattern


Here is my class project washed and blocked


And this is my second project off my new loom...

So much fun. I am hoping my next project will be a rag rug, but first I have to start (now started) and finish 2 wedding quilts, one much overdue, 3 years and the other a year....

Both are Krista Moser patterns. One is called Honeycomb Hexagon Quilt and I'm making it for my son and daughter in law. It's more labor intensive but is going together so easily! And, wow, I am loving these fabric combinations. It was so hard shopping for fabric with covid and trying to get the right colours...a few additions to the stash and an extra order or two, lol but the finally results I think are amazing.






The other quilt is for my niece and her husband...and it is a fun easy pattern that makes a buffalo check pattern thus the name Buffalo Check Baby Quilt and is one of Krista's free patterns. It doesn't have the information for making it into a larger quilt, so it is taking some brain work and matching the diamond points is a bit harder than the hexies, but it is turning out and will be so worth the effort in the end.



I have discovered in the process of trying to get my sewjo back and get two quilts completed and gifted, that I actually enjoy having multiple projects on the go....
I like being able to stop working on one when it gets to be to monotonous and do different step in another project. I find the change of pace and activity just what I need to keep going and enjoy the making more. So if two projects weren't enough....lol....why not start a third.....

I have been trying to make a quilt for everyone in my immediate family and realized I still hadn't made one for my other sister....so here comes a winter quilt....Her, Christmas/winter decor is in blacks, reds and whites.....

So I pulled some FreeSpirit solids and some AdornIt Basics and another quilt is started....

That's it for now, will try my best to keep posting more regularly. 

You can always follow me on Instagram #upstairshobbyroom that's where I post my regular progress on what I'm working on....but it is fun to catalogue all my projects here too.

Have a great week everyone.....

2 comments:

  1. Your sister will love those colours, and the looms, you have hit the jackpot with those, and all the other projects, I also like to swap around and have more than one on the go. Health status sounds so wonderful, stay safe with Covid, online shopping can be so good for some extra fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you for the looms! I’ve always admired those rugs but have never had the opportunity to learn on a loom. Can you make placemats on the smaller loom? Where did you find the floor loom and the other loom? I looked at that Buffalo check pattern. It’s so cute. I couldn’t tell what kind of ruler they were using. What are you using? My goodness I am full of questions today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment, idea, or question!!

This post was originally posted on UpstairsHobbyRoom.blogspot.ca . If you are reading this post anywhere else, it is without my permission.