Friday, July 26, 2013

#15 Dress Making! Hit or Miss

I tried my hand at dress making. It went ok. I say ok, because I am not totally happy with the fit of the dress! I gladly admit that I have little skill in the area of tailoring, and thought if I took a class it might help. So I signed up for a dress class, 2 classes over a 2 week period. Everyone was so great and the woman teaching the class knew far more than me, but was not a seamstress. And I think that is where the problem lays!! I need a professional!!!!!!! I really want to learn to make at least 2 patterns that will fit me!! That's it, just 2... a dress and a skirt!! Is that really too much to ask????


So the problems as I see it with this dress is if you don't get the fit right, it can look like a maturity dress!       I am passed that stage in life, lol, so not what I am looking for!!
The darts I think ended up in the right place, but above the darts is baggy, not good if you ever want to bend over, without showing off the girls!!

Also the dress seems to flare out, along with having side pockets....again that combination for a girl with hips...not working so hot for me!! So needless to say this venture into cloths making is a miss at this point!!!

  But I haven't totally given up yet, I have an appointment with a local seamstress/dressmaker on Tues morning!! I told you I want to master 2!! This may not be one of them, but I am hoping we can at least save it from being cut up and used for a quilt project!! ; )






7 comments:

  1. Oh frustrating!! I hope you and the dressmaker can salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristy!! I've still got a positive attitude and hoping for the best, but yes it is frustrating!! But I had other nice things happen this week ;) thank you!! so it balances out!!

      Delete
  2. It is very pretty I hope you get it to a point where you are happy with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne!! I hope so too!! Will keep you posted on the results after tomorrows appointment!!

      Delete
  3. I love this fabric!! What a great idea to visit a professional seamstress to get some help on making it more the way you'd like it/envisioned it to be. I hope you have fun with your appointment! Can't wait to hear the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dropped off the dress yesterday!! Really only needs a few tweaks, but I thought it beyond my scope to rip out the pockets and taper the flare and add pockets back, along with taking about a 1/2" off the shoulders to remove the loose neck line. (again to rip out the yoke interfacing and deal with all that, no thanks!!) That's why we need seamstresses, they just do, I would just stress!!!lol

      Sorry I guess I entered this in the comments by mistake!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment, idea, or question!!

This post was originally posted on UpstairsHobbyRoom.blogspot.ca . If you are reading this post anywhere else, it is without my permission.